Re: Win32 timezone matching - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Magnus Hagander
Subject Re: Win32 timezone matching
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Wed, Apr 7, 2010 at 00:02, Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
> Oh, another thought here: what is the effect of the combination of this
> with your other proposal to add more timezones to the list?  In
> particular, what happens if we use the extended list in an unpatched
> system that doesn't know about those new zone names?  I'm wondering
> if we *have* to make this change for that to behave sanely.  We might
> also need to consider whether we want any log chatter in such a case.

No, as long as the key *exists* we've always moved on to the next one
if it didn't match. It's only when it doesn't exist at all that we
aborted.

And if the system doesn't know about those names, it'll never show up.
We're mapping *from* windows to *us*. So if the zones aren't in
windows at all, there is no way for windows to give us that name.