Re: Native DB replication for PG - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Scott Marlowe
Subject Re: Native DB replication for PG
Date
List pgsql-general
2010/5/1 Devrim GÜNDÜZ <devrim@gunduz.org>:
> On Sat, 2010-05-01 at 02:59 -0400, Greg Smith wrote:
>> FYI, since December of 2009 (release of 8.4.2) there have been 10 bugs
>> fixed with the word "crash" in their description, as well as 7 memory
>> leaks that could potentially lead to crash.  Even six months ago I was
>> still hesitant to push 8.4 toward production systems; the number of
>> bugs shaken out in the last two releases has been substantial.
>
> FWIW, we are using 8.4.3 under heavy (thousands of transactions per
> second) update+delete load (as compared to inserts), and new FSM helped
> us a lot -- also it did not crash even for a second. We got rid of all
> performance related issues after switching from 8.3 to 8.4.

I tested 8.4.1 under three different loads.  A mostly transactional
load, a most write load for storing web site statistics, and a
mnogosearch db with moderate load.  They all ran great for a week or
so in testing.  In order to put it into production we started with the
least important of those dbs, statistics.  We can afford to lose an
hour here or there no a saturday, so we tried it.  And it worked fine
for 3 weeks when pg 8.4.1, on the same machine that was still running
8.3.latest at the time, crashed.  Happened again a few days later, and
we switched back over during maintenance.  The old 8.3 db for stats
was still there so it was just a matter of taking down stats, loading
in the data from the 8.4 db and switching it over.

Mnogo was switched over at the same time as the stats db and has never
once crashed the 8.4.x db it is running on.  So whatever we were doing
that made 8.4 crash may have had to do with the partitioned nature of
our stats db, or some other issue unique to our stats db.