Re: Call for Google Summer of Code (GSoC) 2012: Project ideas? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Thomas Kellerer
Subject Re: Call for Google Summer of Code (GSoC) 2012: Project ideas?
Date
List pgsql-general
Stefan Keller, 08.03.2012 20:40:
> Hi
>
> I do have a student who is interested in participating at the Google
> Summer of Code (GSoC) 2012
> Now I have the "burden" to look for a cool project... Any ideas?
>
> -Stefan

What about an extension to the CREATE TRIGGER syntax that combines trigger definition and function definition in a
singlestatement?

Something like:

CREATE TRIGGER my_trg BEFORE UPDATE ON some_table
     FOR EACH ROW EXECUTE
DO
$body$
BEGIN
    ... here goes the function code ...
END;
$body$
LANGUAGE plpgsql;

which would create both objects (trigger and trigger function) at the same time in the background.

The CASCADE option of DROP TRIGGER could be enhanced to include the corresponding function in the DROP as well.

This would make the syntax a bit easier to handle for those cases where a 1:1 relationship exists between triggers and
functionsbut would still allow the flexibility to re-use trigger functions in more than one trigger.

Regards
Thomas