Re: Call for Google Summer of Code (GSoC) 2012: Project ideas? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Stefan Keller
Subject Re: Call for Google Summer of Code (GSoC) 2012: Project ideas?
Date
List pgsql-general
Hi all,

2012/3/14 Thomas Kellerer <spam_eater@gmx.net>:
> Stefan Keller, 08.03.2012 20:40:
>
>> Hi
>>
>> I do have a student who is interested in participating at the Google
>> Summer of Code (GSoC) 2012
>> Now I have the "burden" to look for a cool project... Any ideas?
>>
>> -Stefan
>>

> What about an extension to the CREATE TRIGGER syntax that combines trigger
> definition and function definition in a single statement?
>
> Something like:
>
> CREATE TRIGGER my_trg BEFORE UPDATE ON some_table
>    FOR EACH ROW EXECUTE
> DO
> $body$
> BEGIN
>   ... here goes the function code ...
> END;
> $body$
> LANGUAGE plpgsql;
>
> which would create both objects (trigger and trigger function) at the same
> time in the background.
>
> The CASCADE option of DROP TRIGGER could be enhanced to include the
> corresponding function in the DROP as well.
>
> This would make the syntax a bit easier to handle for those cases where a
> 1:1 relationship exists between triggers and functions but would still allow
> the flexibility to re-use trigger functions in more than one trigger.
>
> Regards
> Thomas

Thanks to all who responded here.
There are now two students here at our university and it seems that
they prefer another open source project (which I support too).
Let's take some these good ideas to the Postgres wiki (if there is an
idea page there :->)

-Stefan