Re: Postgresql Data directory Issue - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Christian Ullrich
Subject Re: Postgresql Data directory Issue
Date
List pgsql-general
* Adarsh Sharma wrote:

> 2. I installed Postgresql-8.3 in new server and trying to use the data
> directory but it faces the below error :-
>
> Existing data directory is not empty and it cannot able to use it .

First, be very, very careful. initdb already saved your data from
destruction once, but you should never have allowed it anywhere near
your live data in the first place.

Also, do not tempt fate: Make sure that your new installation is as
close to identical to the old one as possible (architecture,
endianness, word size). Starting PostgreSQL on an incompatible data
directory should fail reliably, but it sounds as if you do not have
current backups.

If your data is on some sort of shared storage, maybe you can take a
snapshot before you do any more experiments?

Install with a different data directory (or make sure it is not
mounted while you are installing), then reconfigure before starting
the database.

--
Christian