Re: PD_ALL_VISIBLE flag warning - Mailing list pgsql-admin

From Jonathan Foy
Subject Re: PD_ALL_VISIBLE flag warning
Date
List pgsql-admin

On Thu, Apr 8, 2010 at 10:16 AM, Greg Stark <gsstark@mit.edu> wrote:

If you're on 8.1 it's important to be on the latest 8.1 -- there are
at least 17 significant bugs that warranted bug-fix releases between
8.1.3 and 8.1.20 including security bugs and data corruption bugs.

Understood.  It's my current top priority.

> We never actually ran 8.4.0.  We went straight from 8.3.3 to 8.4.1.  I did a
> full dump/restore from the 8.3.3 database into the 8.4.1 database (using the
> 8.4 pg_dump), partitioning as I went.

Ugh, then it sounds like there's a real as-yet unidentified problem.

The other thing to check before panicking is, has this server ever run
with fsync off and crashed (either kernel panic or power failure)?

I have never turned off fsync.  Also, the server is showing an uptime of 281 days, and the postgres instance has been up since 2/21.

What does the storage system on this server look like? Are they IDE or
SCSI drives? Is there an LVM layer involved? etc.

--
greg

Storage is on an NFS mounted Fiber Netapp volume.

Let me know if you need more...