Re: PD_ALL_VISIBLE flag warning - Mailing list pgsql-admin

From Greg Stark
Subject Re: PD_ALL_VISIBLE flag warning
Date
List pgsql-admin
On Thu, Apr 8, 2010 at 1:57 PM, Jonathan Foy <thefoy@gmail.com> wrote:
> Thanks for the reply...
>
> We have an unhealthy habit of not updating very often around here, one that
> I'm trying to fix. We run both 8.1 and 8.4, and we're testing the update to
> 8.1.20 this weekend....from 8.1.3.  Across the board 8.4 update will take
> much more testing due to the typing issue. Other 8.4 updates will take place
> soon.

If you're on 8.1 it's important to be on the latest 8.1 -- there are
at least 17 significant bugs that warranted bug-fix releases between
8.1.3 and 8.1.20 including security bugs and data corruption bugs.

> We never actually ran 8.4.0.  We went straight from 8.3.3 to 8.4.1.  I did a
> full dump/restore from the 8.3.3 database into the 8.4.1 database (using the
> 8.4 pg_dump), partitioning as I went.

Ugh, then it sounds like there's a real as-yet unidentified problem.

The other thing to check before panicking is, has this server ever run
with fsync off and crashed (either kernel panic or power failure)?

What does the storage system on this server look like? Are they IDE or
SCSI drives? Is there an LVM layer involved? etc.

--
greg