Re: PostgreSQL For Beginners - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Jasen Betts
Subject Re: PostgreSQL For Beginners
Date
List pgsql-general
On 2011-02-03, Kenneth Buckler <kenneth.buckler@gmail.com> wrote:

> One of the programmers I work with is interested in migrating from
> Oracle to PostgreSQL as the backend for his applications.
>
> Is there a PostgreSQL "beginners" guide available somewhere, which
> might help him understand setting up a test database on his Windows
> system?
>
> I may also be performing a 30-60 minute presentation to several of the
> developers as a "introduction" to PostgreSQL.  Any suggestions on what
> I should cover in this presentation?

where to find the documentation.

> Designing databases with security in mind

 he who controls pg_hba.conf owns the database.

> Creating your first PostgreSQL Database

the tools psql and pgadmin

> Understanding Roles and host-based authentication

 unserstanding postgres schemas
 how they are similar and how ther differ from oracle.

> Understanding permissions
> Creating a table

the postgresql data types,
  serial and bigserial for automatic serial numbers.
  text is as fast as any alternative
  timestamp and timestamptz  (with attention to how they differ from
  oracle)
  any other types suited to your application space.

how postgres breaks the standards
  string escaping
  char literals
  missing features?
  other things?

how oracle breaks sql standsrds (ie: things that may no longer work)

> Writing procedures

  dollar quoting.

postgres' exception based programming and transaction model

  instroduction to plpgsql

  raise/exception
  begin transaction/checkpoint/rollback/commit

  "CREATE FUNCTION ... SECURITY DEFINER"

  debugging plpgsql using raise debug..

  other languages.

where to find the documentation.

> I'm going to try not to include information such as configuring WAL or
> the error log, as I will be configuring these settings once PostgreSQL
> is installed.

there's probably enough for a couple of hours there.

--
⚂⚃ 100% natural