Re: UTF characters compromising data import. - Mailing list pgsql-sql

From Jasen Betts
Subject Re: UTF characters compromising data import.
Date
List pgsql-sql
On 2011-02-08, Gavin Beau Baumanis <beau@palcare.com.au> wrote:

> I understand the error message - but what I don't know is what I
> need to set the encoding to - in order to import  / use the data.

if you run it through
 iconv --from-code=ASCII -to-code=UTF8 -c

it'll strip out all the non-ascii symbols,  without knowing the
encoding it's impossible to assign any useful meaning to them.
This step may render your data useless, it would be much better to
find out what the encoding should be.

perhaps you can figure it out by observation?

--
⚂⚃ 100% natural