Re: concatenate question - Mailing list pgsql-sql

From Edgardo Portal
Subject Re: concatenate question
Date
List pgsql-sql
On 2010-12-08, Tony Capobianco <tcapobianco@prospectiv.com> wrote:
> Thanks so much to everyone for your responses.  You've been very
> helpful.  I'm running PostGres 8.4 and we're migrating our datawarehouse
> from Oracle 10.2.  I guess datatype is implicitly cast in oracle under
> these circumstances:
>
> SQL> create table tony_test as select memberid||addeddate "data" from
> TMPSV_PARENT_MASTER where rownum < 5;
>
> Table created.
>
> SQL> desc tony_test
>  Name                                      Null?    Type
>  ----------------------------------------- --------
> ----------------------------
>  data                                               VARCHAR2(59)
>
> SQL> select * from tony_test;
>
> data
> 3812482212010-06-23 13:53:38
> 3812510902010-06-23 14:12:25
> 3812622482010-06-23 15:24:45
> 3812725152010-06-23 16:35:24
>

> Thanks!

FWIW, I think you can also extend the built-in concatenate operator, though
I personally haven't used something like this in a production DB:

BEGIN TRANSACTION ;

CREATE FUNCTION concat_num_ttwotz(numeric, timestamp without time zone) RETURNS text AS 'select $1::text || $2::text;'
LANGUAGESQL IMMUTABLE RETURNS NULL ON NULL INPUT ;

CREATE OPERATOR || ( PROCEDURE = concat_num_ttwotz,LEFTARG = numeric,RIGHTARG= timestamp without time zone
) ;

CREATE TABLE tony_test ( memberid   numeric,addeddate  timestamp without time zone
) ;

INSERT INTO tony_test VALUES(1,CURRENT_DATE) ;

SELECT memberid || addeddate FROM tony_test ;

ROLLBACK ;