concatenate question - Mailing list pgsql-sql

From Tony Capobianco
Subject concatenate question
Date
List pgsql-sql
Here's my table:              plsql_dw=# \d tmpsv_parent_master                  Table "staging.tmpsv_parent_master"
       Column     |            Type             | Modifiers
----------------+-----------------------------+-----------       memberid       | numeric                     |
addeddate     | timestamp without time zone |         sourceid       | numeric                     |
regcomplete   | numeric(1,0)                |         optoutdate     | date                        |         bouncedate
   | date                        |         websiteid      | numeric                     |         emailbounced   |
numeric(2,0)               |         emailok        | numeric(2,0)                |         emailaddress   | character
varying(50)      |         srcwebsiteid   | numeric                     |         srcmemberid    | numeric
      |         sitetype       | character varying           |         commissionpct  | numeric                     |
     pricepermember | numeric                     |         acceptrate     | numeric(3,2)                |
mktgcenterid  | numeric                     |         label          | character varying(32)       |
 Why won't this work?       plsql_dw=# select memberid || addeddate from tmpsv_parent_master

limit       10;       ERROR:  operator does not exist: numeric || timestamp without
time zone       LINE 1: select memberid || addeddate from tmpsv_parent_master
limit ...                               ^       HINT:  No operator matches the given name and argument type(s).
You       might need to add explicit type casts.              Thanks.