Re: Query-plan for partitioned UPDATE/DELETE slow and swaps vmem compared to SELECT - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From John Papandriopoulos
Subject Re: Query-plan for partitioned UPDATE/DELETE slow and swaps vmem compared to SELECT
Date
List pgsql-performance
On 12/4/10 8:42 AM, Tom Lane wrote:
> John Papandriopoulos<dr.jpap@gmail.com>  writes:
>> I've recreated the same example with just one parent table, and 4096 child tables.
>
>> SELECT query planning is lightning fast as before; DELETE and UPDATE cause my machine to swap.
>
>> What's different about DELETE and UPDATE here?
>
> Hmm.  Rules?  Triggers?  You seem to be assuming the problem is at the
> planner stage but I'm not sure you've proven that.

My example starts off with a new database (e.g. createdb ptest).

I set up my schema using a machine generated SQL file [1] that simply
creates a table

   create table ptest ( id integer );

and N = 0..4095 inherited children

   create table ptest_N (
      check ( (id >= N_min) and (id <= N_max) )
   ) inherits (ptest);

that split the desired id::integer range into N buckets, one for each of
the N partitions.

I then immediately run a query-plan using EXPLAIN that exhibits the
described behavior: super-fast plan for a SELECT statement, without
swapping, and memory intensive (swapping) plans for DELETE and UPDATE.

There are no triggers, no rules, no plpgsql functions, no indexes and no
inserted data.

Is there a more simple example that might help me convince you that
we're exercising just the planner stage?

Kindest,
John

[1] http://jpap.org/files/partition-test-flat.txt