Re: Windows build missing tcl "UNKNOWN" support - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Carlo Stonebanks
Subject Re: Windows build missing tcl "UNKNOWN" support
Date
List pgsql-general
>> Another concern is "PL/Tcl call handler must be compiled
>> with -DPLTCL_UNKNOWN_SUPPORT set." to use the features I want.
>
> Dunno where you got that idea from, but it's not so.
>
> The "magic tables" are to be created by hand, there is no automatic
> installation of them.

Hmm - seems that this was a version 7 issue:
http://www.postgresql.org/docs/7/static/c43624375.htm

More recent documentation has taken out any mention of the compiler switch.
or the tables being "magic" (I am having trouble underestanding why these
tables would have been considered "magic" since the only context I have used
this term has been with the virtual tables used within triggers.)

I am looking at the CVS now. Because there is no documentation on this, I'd
just like to run through the procedures to be sure (and help out anyone else
who finds this):
I see the make file, but I assume this is for a 'NIX sh (apolgies, not a
'NIX guy). I do not know how to make this work on Windows, so I will guess
(using default folder names):

From command line:
copy pltcl_loadmod.tcl /pgsql/bin
copy pltcl_delmod.tcl  /pgsql/bin
copy pltcl_listmod.tcl /pgsql/bin
copy unknown.pltcl /pgsql/data

Then:

- Modify scripts to suit my TCL environment
- Execute the pltcl_loadmod with host, db and TCL source as parameters, TCL
file contains lib functions that would get called when pgTcl executes
"unknown"
- Execute pltcl_listmod to see if this is all working correctly
- Execute pltcl_delmod to remove modules when I need to

Will that work?

Carlo