Re: Order by with spaces and other characters - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Tomasz Myrta
Subject Re: Order by with spaces and other characters
Date
List pgsql-general
mike stanton napisal 24.10.2008 21:03:
> Hello everyone.
> We have a simple problem...that we have keys that include blanks and
> various other commonly used characters like ",",  ";" and "-". For some
> reason, the select we have, nothing complicated, ignores these "special"
> characters and happily sorts by the A-z range. How do we sort by the,
> say ascii 32-125 range?
> This must be a known issue; perhaps we need to configure a parameter.

Sorting behavior depends on database locale. You can override it and
make Postgres sort output data binary with "ORDER BY xxx USING ~<~"
It's default when database is initialized with "C" locale.

--
Regards,
Tomasz Myrta