partitioning a table containing millions of records - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Andreas Jochem
Subject partitioning a table containing millions of records
Date
List pgsql-general
Hi,
I have a question concerning the topic patitioning.

I have a table with millions of records and I would like to partition
it. I have already read the documentation but it could not answer my
question.

My question is, the following:
Do I have to create the master and child tables and so  on before
inserting the data or is it also possible to partition a table which
already contains millions of records??? And how can I do this??? Has
anybody done this before???

Thanks.

Andi