pg_restore error - Mailing list pgsql-admin

From Bryan White
Subject pg_restore error
Date
Re: pg_restore error  (Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us>)
List pgsql-admin
I am trying to load a data base using pg_restore.  We are migrating to
a new server and I want to see if I can make the load go faster if I
load with pg_restore instead of psql.

The old server is:
CentOS upgraded to 5.4 64bit with the stock PostgreSQL 8.1.
The dump file was created with:
     pg_dump --format=c --file=ec.restore ec
where ec is the name of the database.  It is encoded SQL_ASCII.  I
plan on converting to UTF-8 but I can't do that quite yet.

The new server is
CentOS 5.4 64 bit with PostgreSQL 8.4 installed from the YUM repo on
the PostgreSQL site.

The restore command is:
    createdb -E SQL_ASCII -T template0 ec
    pg_restore -dec -j2 ec.restore

I get this error:
pg_restore: [custom archiver] dumping a specific TOC data block out of
order is not supported without ID on this input stream (fseek
required)
pg_restore: [archiver] worker process failed: exit code 1

It seems to run if I ommit the -j2 option. (Though as of this moment
is has not completed).  Is there a known problem with using parallel

Bryan White