Re: can't createdb with my new user - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Usama Dar
Subject Re: can't createdb with my new user
Date
List pgsql-general

On 11/28/07, della <ildella@gmail.com> wrote:
hi, I describe my steps:

1. installed postgresql 8.2 via apt-get (ubuntu gutsy)
2. # sudo -u postgres psql template1
3. template1=# CREATE ROLE kokomo WITH LOGIN CREATEDB PASSWORD
'kokomo';
4. template1=# \q
5. # createdb kokomo_dev -U kokomo -W

Here I receive:
createdb: could not connect to database postgres: FATAL:  Ident
authentication failed for user "kokomo"

So, given that I do not fail submitting the password for kokomo when
requested... what could be the problem? Have I to create a system user
for kokomo?
If I use pgadmin3 I see the kokomo user with it own encrypted password
and I can create the DB with kokomo as a owner. So what am I missing
in the command line?

Thanks for help.

Looks like you have a Database user kokomo but since your authentication method in pg_hba.conf is set to ident, which means database user is mapped to an OS user, and you need to be logged in as that OS user on which a DB user is mapped. By default the mapping is on "sameuser" which means inorder to logon as kokomo db user you will have to be authenticated /logged in as kokomo OS user.

Change the pg_hba.conf auth method to trust or password

TIP 2: Don't 'kill -9' the postmaster

--
Usama Munir Dar http://linkedin.com/in/usamadar
Consultant Architect