invalid byte sequence for encoding "UTF8" - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Glyn Astill
Subject invalid byte sequence for encoding "UTF8"
Date
Re: invalid byte sequence for encoding "UTF8"  (Gregory Stark <stark@enterprisedb.com>)
Re: invalid byte sequence for encoding "UTF8"  (Martijn van Oosterhout <kleptog@svana.org>)
Re: invalid byte sequence for encoding "UTF8"  ("Albe Laurenz" <laurenz.albe@wien.gv.at>)
List pgsql-general
Hi People,

I've setup a postgres 8.2 server and have a database setup with UTF8
encoding. I intend to read some of our legacy data into the table,
this legacy data is in ASCII format, and as far as I know is 8 bit
ASCII.

We have a migration tool from mertechdata.com to convert these files
that are in a DataFlex format into out postgres tables.

Some files convert over okay, and some come up with the error message
'invalid byte sequence for encoding "UTF8"'. the files that come up
with the error are created correctly and so are their index's, but as
soon as we come to insert the data we get this error.

Does anyone know why we're getting this error message? And uis there
a way to suppress it, or can we get around it using another format?

Our migration utility does ask us to select the correct encoding for
our database, and we select UTF8 but we still get the error. What do
you guys think? Possibly the migration tools fault?

I thought we may be able to get around it using SQL_ASCII encoding -
but it's ony 7 bit, so would we loose some data? Also our conversion
utility doesn't have the option to use SQL_ASCII.

Are there any more flexible formats we could use? I noticed we have
Latin 1-10 and ISO formats. Is there any reason why we shouldn't use
these?

Thanks
Glyn

now.