Re: Somebody has not thought through subscription lockingconsiderations - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Petr Jelinek
Subject Re: Somebody has not thought through subscription lockingconsiderations
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On 30/03/17 07:25, Tom Lane wrote:
> I noticed this failure report:
> https://buildfarm.postgresql.org/cgi-bin/show_log.pl?nm=dangomushi&dt=2017-03-29%2019%3A45%3A27
>
> in which we find
>
> *** /home/buildfarm/data/buildroot/HEAD/pgsql.build/src/test/regress/expected/updatable_views.out    Thu Mar 30
04:45:432017

> --- /home/buildfarm/data/buildroot/HEAD/pgsql.build/src/test/regress/results/updatable_views.out    Thu Mar 30
05:32:372017

> ***************
> *** 349,354 ****
> --- 349,358 ----
>   DROP VIEW ro_view10, ro_view12, ro_view18;
>   DROP SEQUENCE seq CASCADE;
>   NOTICE:  drop cascades to view ro_view19
> + ERROR:  deadlock detected
> + DETAIL:  Process 7576 waits for AccessShareLock on relation 1259 of database 16384; blocked by process 7577.
> + Process 7577 waits for ShareRowExclusiveLock on relation 6102 of database 16384; blocked by process 7576.
> + HINT:  See server log for query details.
>   -- simple updatable view
>   CREATE TABLE base_tbl (a int PRIMARY KEY, b text DEFAULT 'Unspecified');
>   INSERT INTO base_tbl SELECT i, 'Row ' || i FROM generate_series(-2, 2) g(i);
>
> and the referenced bit of log is
>
> [58dc19dd.1d98:175] ERROR:  deadlock detected
> [58dc19dd.1d98:176] DETAIL:  Process 7576 waits for AccessShareLock on relation 1259 of database 16384; blocked by
process7577.

>     Process 7577 waits for ShareRowExclusiveLock on relation 6102 of database 16384; blocked by process 7576.
>     Process 7576: DROP SEQUENCE seq CASCADE;
>     Process 7577: VACUUM FULL pg_class;
> [58dc19dd.1d98:177] HINT:  See server log for query details.
> [58dc19dd.1d98:178] STATEMENT:  DROP SEQUENCE seq CASCADE;
>
> Of course, 1259 is pg_class and 6102 is pg_subscription_rel.
>
> I await with interest an explanation of what "VACUUM FULL pg_class" is
> doing trying to acquire ShareRowExclusiveLock on pg_subscription_rel, not
> to mention why a DROP SEQUENCE is holding some fairly strong lock on that
> relation.  *Especially* in a situation where no subscriptions exist ---
> but even if any did, this seems unacceptable on its face.  Access to core
> catalogs like pg_class cannot depend on random other stuff.

Hmm, the DROP SEQUENCE is result of not having dependency info for
relations/subscriptions I think. I was told during review it's needless
bloat of dependency catalog. I guess we should revisit that. It's also
likely that RemoveSubscriptionRel will work fine with lower lock level.

I have no idea why VACUUM FULL of pg_class would touch the
pg_subscription_rel though, I'll have to dig into that.

I can see that locking for example pg_trigger or pg_depend in
ShareRowExclusiveLock will also block VACUUM FULL on pg_class (and other
related tables like pg_attribute). So maybe we just need to be careful
about not taking such a strong lock...

Services