Re: meson "experimental"? - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Peter Eisentraut
Subject Re: meson "experimental"?
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On 04.06.24 17:24, Robert Haas wrote:
> On Wed, May 29, 2024 at 2:41 AM Peter Eisentraut <peter@eisentraut.org> wrote:
>> "Alternatively, PostgreSQL can be built using Meson.  This is the only
>> option for building PostgreSQL in Windows using Visual Something[*].
>> For other platforms, using Meson is currently experimental."
>
> Is it, though? I feel like we're beyond the experimental stage now.

Experimental is probably too harsh a word now.

But it doesn't have feature parity with configure/make yet (for example,
no .bc files), so I wouldn't recommend it for production or packaging
builds.

Then, there are issues like [0].  If it's experimental, then this is
like, meh, we'll fix it later.  If not, then it's a bug.

More generally, I don't think we've really done a comprehensive check of
how popular extensions build against pgxs-from-meson.  Packagers that
make their production builds using meson now might be signing up for a
long tail of the unknown.

[0]:
https://www.postgresql.org/message-id/49e97fd0-c17e-4cbc-aeee-80ac51400736@eisentraut.org