Re: meson "experimental"? - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Robert Haas
Subject Re: meson "experimental"?
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Tue, Jun 4, 2024 at 12:56 PM Peter Eisentraut <peter@eisentraut.org> wrote:
> Experimental is probably too harsh a word now.
>
> But it doesn't have feature parity with configure/make yet (for example,
> no .bc files), so I wouldn't recommend it for production or packaging
> builds.

That's unfortunate. :-(

> Then, there are issues like [0].  If it's experimental, then this is
> like, meh, we'll fix it later.  If not, then it's a bug.

This feels like a case where I'd have to read the entire thread to
understand what the issue is.

> More generally, I don't think we've really done a comprehensive check of
> how popular extensions build against pgxs-from-meson.  Packagers that
> make their production builds using meson now might be signing up for a
> long tail of the unknown.

That's a fair point, and I don't know what to do about it, but it
seems like something that needs to be addressed.

--
Robert Haas
EDB: http://www.enterprisedb.com