Re: Problems with sequences - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Kelly Burkhart
Subject Re: Problems with sequences
Date
List pgsql-general
On 9/6/06, Arturo Perez <aperez@hayesinc.com> wrote:
> What happens is that if I do a select nextval('seq') I get a number
> that's lower than the
> max primary key id.  This is inspite of my doing
>    SELECT setval('seq', ((SELECT MAX(seq_ID) FROM table)+1))
>    ALTER SEQUENCE seq RESTART WITH <max + 1>;
>    select pg_catalog.setval(seq, <max+1>, true);

Your sequence was probably created with the CACHE parameter.  This
will cause each session to cache n values from the sequence.
Resetting the sequence from another session will not affect the others
until they've gone through all their cached values.

-K