Re: CREATE DATABASE on the heap with PostgreSQL? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From lbrtchx@hotmail.com (Albretch)
Subject Re: CREATE DATABASE on the heap with PostgreSQL?
Date
List pgsql-general
Gaetano Mendola <mendola@bigfoot.com> wrote in message news:<40C365E0.6090905@bigfoot.com>...
> If you access a table more frequently then other and you have enough
> RAM your OS will mantain that table on RAM, don't you think ?
> BTW if you trust on your UPS I'm sure you are able to create a RAM
> disk and place that table in RAM.
>

> Regards
> Gaetano Mendola

 RAMdisks still need a hard disk drive to operate. I am talking here
about entirely diskless configurations.

 Well, maybe as I suspected there is no technical explanation why this
design decision has been made.

 When I have more time I will run a bechmark to check to which extent
it does make a difference. I mean running the application from RAM and
letting the DBMS know about it instead of letting the OS figure it
out.