LLVM issues with PostgreSQL YUM repository on CentOS 8 - Mailing list pgsql-pkg-yum

From Devrim Gündüz
Subject LLVM issues with PostgreSQL YUM repository on CentOS 8
Date
List pgsql-pkg-yum
Hi,

In the latest 3 minor releases of Red Hat Enterprise Linux 8, Red Hat
have broken LLVM compatibility with the previous minor releases (like
introducing LLVM 8 with RHEL 8.1, LLVM 9 with RHEL 8.2, and LLVM 10
with RHEL 8.3).

This breaks compatibility with  the previous releases, and also affects
PostgreSQL updates for the users who installed the llvmjit subpackage.
The negative effects are:

RHEL: Users cannot update to the new LLVM until the packages are
rebuilt. This issue has been soled already, by updating the build
servers to the new minor release immediately, and rebuilding affected
packages.

CentOS, which lags behind RHEL, is also significantly affected by this
breakage, blocking PostgreSQL minor updates. This is the problem that
needs to be solved.

Today, we released a new repo called “pgdg-centos8-sysupdates” for
CentOS 8 users. This repo brings in the LLVM and CLANG packages from
latest RHEL (of course, rebuilt and signed with our own key), which
satisfy the llvmjit dependency. Please note that this is optional,
because it may break other packages (if any) which depend on older
versions of LLVM and CLANG. This feature is available for PostgreSQL 11
and above.

Users first need to update to the latest repo file (dnf -y update pgdg-
redhat-repo) to benefit from this feature, which is 42.0.15 at the time
of writing.

Here are the steps to enable this repo:

dnf -qy  module disable postgresql llvm-toolset rust-toolset
dnf config-manager --set-enabled pgdg-centos8-sysupdates

(Disabling rust-toolset is not a must, however dnf will otherwise throw
warnings as it has a dependency to the llvm-toolset module).

When this is done, you can either update or install the llvmjit package
normally.

If you have any questions/comments, please either email to pgsql-pkg-
yum@lists.postgresql.org, or create an issue at [PostgreSQL community
RPM issue
tracker](https://redmine.postgresql.org/projects/pgrpms/issues)
(requires a community account to access)

I would like to thank Magnus Hagande a lot for his extraordinary help
to tackle this issue.

Regards,

--
Devrim Gündüz
Open Source Solution Architect, Red Hat Certified Engineer

Attachment