branches_of_interest.txt - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Andrew Dunstan
Subject branches_of_interest.txt
Date
List pgsql-hackers
This file on the buildfarm server is used to tell clients which branches
we'd like built. When a new stable branch is created it's added manually
to this file, and when one gets to EOL it's removed from the file. This
is a rather cumbersome process, and it occurred to me that it could be
streamlined by our keeping it in the core repo instead. Buildfarm
clients would still need to get it from the buildfarm server, since they
don't necessarily have a local repo at all at the stage when it's
needed. But that doesn't matter much - the server *does* have a repo
kept up to date fairly continuously (every 5 minutes).Essentially what
we'd need is a script on the server called from cron which would do
something along the lines of

     GIT_DIR=/path/to/local/clone git show
master:path/to/branches_of_interest.txt > htdocs/branches_of_interest.txt

We'd add a bit more sanity checking but essentially that would be its
job. That way this would be under postgres committer control rather then
requiring intervention by some buildfarm server admin. This became a bit
of an issue when I was out of contact at the time a branch was created
last year, IIRC.

Thoughts?

cheers

andrew