Re: More than one Cluster on single server (single instance) - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Ron
Subject Re: More than one Cluster on single server (single instance)
Date
List pgsql-general
On 7/18/22 02:55, Daulat wrote:

> Hello Team,
>
> We are planning to create multiple clusters on a single server (single
> instance) with PostgreSQL V.10 to run multiple applications.

Version (9,6, 10, 111, 12...) does not matter.

> I don't know if it is a good idea to use a single machine to run n
> clusters but we are looking to minimize the cost of servers and other
> resources.

That depends on your circumstances.

> Please share your thoughts on this approach?

It allows you to do PITR backups without doing all-or-nothing restores.

> How can we create multiple clusters under a single postgres version?

Separate $PGDATA directories, and separate postgresql.conf files (with each
config file specifying a different port number: 5432, 5433, 5434, etc)

> How can we identify/allocate the resources to parameters like
> shared_buffers, effective_cache_size, work_mem etc in case of multiple
> clusters?

Very trickily.