Re: badly calculated width of emoji in psql - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Laurenz Albe
Subject Re: badly calculated width of emoji in psql
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Mon, 2021-07-19 at 16:46 +0900, Michael Paquier wrote:
> > In your opinion, would the current one-line patch proposal make things
> > strictly better than they are today, or would it have mixed results?
> > I'm wondering how to help this patch move forward for the current
> > commitfest, or if we should maybe return with feedback for now.
>
> Based on the following list, it seems to me that [u+1f300,u+0x1faff]
> won't capture everything, like the country flags:
> http://www.unicode.org/emoji/charts/full-emoji-list.html

That could be adapted; the question is if the approach as such is
desirable or not.  This is necessarily a moving target, at the rate
that emojis are created and added to Unicode.

My personal feeling is that something simple and perhaps imperfect
as my one-liner that may miss some corner cases would be ok, but
anything that saps more performance or is complicated would not
be worth the effort.

Yours,
Laurenz Albe