Re: What is the format of 'binary' data in the postgresql client/server protocol version 3 - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Eric Merritt
Subject Re: What is the format of 'binary' data in the postgresql client/server protocol version 3
Date
Re: What is the format of 'binary' data in the postgresql client/server protocol version 3  ("Frank D. Engel, Jr." <fde101@fjrhome.net>)
List pgsql-general
On Mon, 24 Jan 2005 18:54:01 -0500, Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
> Eric Merritt <cyberlync@gmail.com> writes:
> >  I am in the middle of implementing postgresql's client server
> > protocol and I have run into a little issue. The spec says that in
> > general data can be of two types, 'text' and 'binary'. The text one is
> > generally pretty simple to figure out. However, there doesn't seem to
> > be any area of the docs that details format for 'binary' data.
>
> Generally you have to look at the send/recv routines for the specific
> data type that you are wondering about.

 Ik, ok I can do that. Any pointers to the particular sourcefile these
are implemented in?

> Sooner or later the comments on
> those routines should be transposed into the SGML documentation, but it
> hasn't happened yet.
>
> (There's still a strong streak of "use the source, Luke" in this
> community, if you hadn't noticed...)

 Yea, but its all C and C hurts my eyes. ;)