Re: What is the format of 'binary' data in the postgresql client/server protocol version 3 - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: What is the format of 'binary' data in the postgresql client/server protocol version 3
Date
List pgsql-general
Eric Merritt <cyberlync@gmail.com> writes:
>  I am in the middle of implementing postgresql's client server
> protocol and I have run into a little issue. The spec says that in
> general data can be of two types, 'text' and 'binary'. The text one is
> generally pretty simple to figure out. However, there doesn't seem to
> be any area of the docs that details format for 'binary' data.

Generally you have to look at the send/recv routines for the specific
data type that you are wondering about.  Sooner or later the comments on
those routines should be transposed into the SGML documentation, but it
hasn't happened yet.

(There's still a strong streak of "use the source, Luke" in this
community, if you hadn't noticed...)

            regards, tom lane