Re: XTS cipher mode for cluster file encryption - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Sasasu
Subject Re: XTS cipher mode for cluster file encryption
Date
Re: XTS cipher mode for cluster file encryption  (Tomas Vondra <tomas.vondra@enterprisedb.com>)
List pgsql-hackers
Just a mention. the HMAC (or AE/AD) can be disabled in AES-GCM. HMAC in
AES-GCM is an encrypt-then-hash MAC.

CRC-32 is not a crypto-safe hash (technically CRC-32 is not a hash
function). Cryptographers may unhappy with CRC-32.

I think CRC or SHA is not such important. If IV can be stored, I believe
there should have enough space to store HMAC.

On 2021/10/18 05:23, Tomas Vondra wrote:

> I've argued for storing the nonce, but I don't quite see why would we
> need integrity guarantees?

Attachment