Re: PostgreSQL pollutes the file system - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Joe Conway
Subject Re: PostgreSQL pollutes the file system
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On 3/29/19 3:43 PM, Christoph Berg wrote:
> Re: Joe Conway 2019-03-29 <48e5efaf-7ea2-ed70-a803-949bbfec8f6b@joeconway.com>
>> echo "\password :\"role\"" | psql -v role='my role'
>> Enter new password:
>> Enter it again:
>>
>> That said, this is kind of off the topic of this thread.
>
> It is on-topic because the reason we can't just tell people to replace
>   createuser $foo
> with
>   psql -c "create user $foo"
> is because $foo might need escaping.
>
> IMHO if we find an way to do that which is acceptable for sh scripts,
> the createuser/... commands could go.

I think these commands *were* once (at least some of them) shell scripts
and we went to executable C in order to make them work on Windows, IIRC.

>> I like Tom's last suggestion of:
>>
>>   pg_util <command> <options>
>>
>> Of course that does not lend itself to symlinking for backward
>> compatibility, does it? If there is a way I am not familiar with it.
>
> We could symlink createuser -> pg_util. It is pretty common for
> commands to act differently based on the name the were invoked as.

Yeah, I forgot about that. Does that also go for Windows?

Joe

--
Crunchy Data - http://crunchydata.com