Re: PostgreSQL pollutes the file system - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Christoph Berg
Subject Re: PostgreSQL pollutes the file system
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Re: Joe Conway 2019-03-29 <f579fde8-8266-f2d6-4ba1-91c6046bc2f6@joeconway.com>
> >> echo "\password :\"role\"" | psql -v role='my role'
> >
> > It is on-topic because the reason we can't just tell people to replace
> >   createuser $foo
> > with
> >   psql -c "create user $foo"
> > is because $foo might need escaping.
> >
> > IMHO if we find an way to do that which is acceptable for sh scripts,
> > the createuser/... commands could go.
>
> I think these commands *were* once (at least some of them) shell scripts
> and we went to executable C in order to make them work on Windows, IIRC.

I meant the interface to these programs. It needs to be something
people can use in sh scripts without wtf'ing. The :\"weirdness\" |
cited above is IMHO not acceptable.

Christoph