Re: How to watch for schema changes - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Adrian Klaver
Subject Re: How to watch for schema changes
Date
List pgsql-general
On 12/3/18 5:29 AM, Igor Korot wrote:
> Hi, Adrian,
>
> On Mon, Dec 3, 2018 at 5:15 PM Adrian Klaver <adrian.klaver@aklaver.com> wrote:
>>
>> On 12/3/18 3:00 PM, Igor Korot wrote:
>>> Hi, Adrian,
>>>

>>> What I mean to say was "no schema changes/server changes that comes
>>> independently
>>> of the program install". Or something to that extent.
>>
>> Which circles back around to the same question:
>>
>> If there are to be no schema changes after the install why track them on
>> subsequent connections?
>>
>> Or maybe an explanation of what you are trying to achieve would make
>> things clearer?
>
> Ok, it probably will make things clearer.
> So I install my program perform some queries and exit.
> At the same time if the user will create or delete a table the program should
> pick up those changes and act accordingly.

So do you want the user to change the schema?

Or could you use permissions to stop that?

I am just seeing a difficult problem trying to divine user intent from
schema changes.

> I was hoping to do the watching initialization dynamically, but it looks as it
> is more pain and I can probably try to execute the script during the
> installation.
>
> So basically I will create the function in C, compile it and then
> during the program installation
> create a trigger with that function.
> Then in my program I will execute "LISTEN" command and act accordingly.
>
> Am I right?

Not sure I have never tried LISTEN on event trigger output.

> And executing LISTEN will also work for ODBC connection, right?

Again not something I am familiar with. Someone else on this list may be
able to answer that. Or there is:

https://www.postgresql.org/list/pgsql-odbc/

--
Adrian Klaver