Re: White space affecting parsing of range values - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Adrian Klaver
Subject Re: White space affecting parsing of range values
Date
List pgsql-general
On 5/6/20 9:19 AM, Thom Brown wrote:
> On Wed, 6 May 2020 at 17:13, Adrian Klaver <adrian.klaver@aklaver.com> wrote:
>>
>> On 5/6/20 9:00 AM, Thom Brown wrote:
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> I noticed I'm getting an error when adding white space to a numeric
>>> range.  I can run this:
>>>
>>> postgres=# SELECT 5::numeric <@ '(,10]'::numrange;
>>>    ?column?
>>> ----------
>>> (1 row)
>>>
>>> But I can't run this:
>>>
>>> postgres=# SELECT 5::numeric <@ '(  ,10]'::numrange;
>>> ERROR:  invalid input syntax for type numeric: "  "
>>> LINE 1: SELECT 5::numeric <@ '(  ,10]'::numrange;
>>>                                ^
>>> If one had constructed a series of ranges, and wanted to line them up
>>> vertically for easy comprehension, this wouldn't be possible.
>>>
>>> This doesn't seem to be a problem with regular numeric values:
>>>
>>> postgres=# SELECT ' 3 '::numeric;
>>>    numeric
>>> ---------
>>>          3
>>> (1 row)
>>>

>>> Shouldn't white space be ignored in range values?
>>>

>> https://www.postgresql.org/docs/12/rangetypes.html
>>
>> "Whitespace is allowed before and after the range value, but any
>> whitespace between the parentheses or brackets is taken as part of the
>> lower or upper bound value. (Depending on the element type, it might or
>> might not be significant.)
>> "
>
> I guess I should read the docs more carefully.  Shouldn't this be
> insignificant for a numeric value?

No:

select ' '::numeric;
ERROR:  invalid input syntax for type numeric: " "
LINE 1: select ' '::numeric;

>> SELECT 5::numeric <@ '(00,10]'::numrange;
>>    ?column?
>> ----------
>
> Your example isn't equivalent to mine.  That sets a lower bound.

SELECT 5::numeric <@ numrange(NULL  ,10, '(]');
  ?column?

 From previous link:

"-- Using NULL for either bound causes the range to be unbounded on that
side.
SELECT numrange(NULL, 2.2);"

--
Adrian Klaver