Re: White space affecting parsing of range values - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Thom Brown
Subject Re: White space affecting parsing of range values
Date
Re: White space affecting parsing of range values  (Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us>)
List pgsql-general
On Wed, 6 May 2020 at 17:13, Adrian Klaver <adrian.klaver@aklaver.com> wrote:

> On 5/6/20 9:00 AM, Thom Brown wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I noticed I'm getting an error when adding white space to a numeric
> > range.  I can run this:
> >
> > postgres=# SELECT 5::numeric <@ '(,10]'::numrange;
> >   ?column?
> > ----------
> > (1 row)
> >
> > But I can't run this:
> >
> > postgres=# SELECT 5::numeric <@ '(  ,10]'::numrange;
> > ERROR:  invalid input syntax for type numeric: "  "
> > LINE 1: SELECT 5::numeric <@ '(  ,10]'::numrange;
> >                               ^
> > If one had constructed a series of ranges, and wanted to line them up
> > vertically for easy comprehension, this wouldn't be possible.
> >
> > This doesn't seem to be a problem with regular numeric values:
> >
> > postgres=# SELECT ' 3 '::numeric;
> >   numeric
> > ---------
> >         3
> > (1 row)
> >

> > Shouldn't white space be ignored in range values?
> >

> https://www.postgresql.org/docs/12/rangetypes.html
>
> "Whitespace is allowed before and after the range value, but any
> whitespace between the parentheses or brackets is taken as part of the
> lower or upper bound value. (Depending on the element type, it might or
> might not be significant.)
> "

I guess I should read the docs more carefully.  Shouldn't this be
insignificant for a numeric value?

> SELECT 5::numeric <@ '(00,10]'::numrange;
>   ?column?

Your example isn't equivalent to mine.  That sets a lower bound.

Thom