Re: Reliable WAL file shipping over unreliable network - Mailing list pgsql-admin

From Nagy László Zsolt
Subject Re: Reliable WAL file shipping over unreliable network
Date
List pgsql-admin

There seem to be 2 fundamental misunderstandings here:

1) That other processes cannot see data written to a file until it is flushed to disk; this is not true; while file data is still in file cache, it is visible to other processes.

2) That rsync writes the file on the destination directly; it does not; it writes into a temporary file and renames that file when it is complete.

While you’re correct; I never made either of those assumptions

Number 1 is irrelevant because files are sent from the master and received by the slave. Two different computers that don't share the same cache. Number 2 blows away my obscurity completely, I just didn't know that rsync works that way. It must be documented somewhere in the (very long) rsync manual. I just opened it and I looked specifically for this behaviour, but I cannot find it. There is a --temp-dir option that suggests that data is written to temporary files first. But that is only a suggestion. I don't see anything explicit about writting data to temporary files and renaming them once they are complete. Although it seems logical and I believe you, but I did not want to make such assumptions either.

So, problem solved in theory. The next step is to do tests by simulating network outages.

I also have a proposal: let's change the example in the PostgreSQL documentation! The example archive_command presented in the docs contains a simple cp command that does not write data to temporary files. Anyone who tries to use that example on a production server will shoot himself on the foot. At least we should have a note there, telling that it is the user's responsibility to make sure that only complete WAL files appear on the slave's archive directory, and that the cp command is just a silly example that should never be used on a production server.

Thank you for your help!

   Laszlo