Re: RFC: Make new versions of pgjdbc Java8+ - Mailing list pgsql-jdbc

From Álvaro Hernández Tortosa
Subject Re: RFC: Make new versions of pgjdbc Java8+
Date
Re: RFC: Make new versions of pgjdbc Java8+  (Brad DeJong <Brad.Dejong@infor.com>)
List pgsql-jdbc

On 03/04/17 19:48, Jorge Solórzano wrote:
On Mon, Apr 3, 2017 at 11:15 AM, Álvaro Hernández Tortosa <aht@8kdata.com> wrote:

On 03/04/17 18:32, Jorge Solórzano wrote:
The End of Public Updates of Oracle JDK 6 was on Feb 2013, but there is an "premier" and "extended" support (paid of course) where the "extended" ends on Dec 2018.
  • If you ask me, we should stick to the "premier" support dates for the PgJDBC, so basically Java 6 should have died in Dec 2015.
  • Following the "premier" support, Java 7 should be dropped until Jul 2019.
    So.... we are going to be favoring customers paying extra premium fees to Oracle.... don't count with me! ^_^

    I don't agree. For me EOL is EOL, not premier.

​My point is not favoring customer paying extra premium fees to Oracle, is to choose "sane"​ dates to drop support in PgJDBC.

    EOL is sane IMHO.

  • The Oracle JDK it's not the only JDK so the End of Public Updates from Oracle should not dictate the kill of a Java version, there is OpenJDK.
  • The OpenJDK/IcedTea team, drop support for Java 6 just recently.

​​
Fair enough. But as a simple example, neither openjdk6 nor openjdk7 are available in my Ubuntu distro (16.04, not even bleeding edge).

​And that's why I use Azul Zulu JDK :-)

  • The Azul Zulu team still supports Java 6 (at least I haven't hear the drop of support).

So +1 for drop support for Java 6, and -1 for drop support for Java 7.

    Still unconvinced of a strong reason to keep support for Java 7. My +1 for Java8+.

​Yes, there are not strong reasons to ​keep support for Java 7 (apart that it's still widely used), but there are not strong reasons to drop support for Java 7 neither.

    The same as for dropping Java6. Out of the ones I mentioned at the beginning of this thread, Java7 improves on no one.

It looks like the java implementation mentioned scram-sasl supports Java 7,

    I'm not going to use it. It has 0 tests, I don't trust it. I'm writing a new SCRAM implementation.

and BTW the Base64 class of Robert Harder is in PgJDBC, but hey if you convince the project maintainers to move to Java 8+ I'm not against it :-) as I said the project is ultra-conservative for better or worse.

    The driver has done something which is really good: very wide support old versions (server, JDK, specs). I think this is not conservationism, but rather a feature: to cover such a wide spectrum. Having said that, and once that goal is fulfilled (as it is right now, with full-featured, mature and performant driver for many versions), it might be time to look into new features, such as supporting and embracing current technologies, and leveraging them for lower development cost.

     Álvaro

--

Álvaro Hernández Tortosa

<8K>data