Re: RFC: Make new versions of pgjdbc Java8+ - Mailing list pgsql-jdbc

From Jorge Solórzano
Subject Re: RFC: Make new versions of pgjdbc Java8+
Date
List pgsql-jdbc
On Mon, Apr 3, 2017 at 11:15 AM, Álvaro Hernández Tortosa <aht@8kdata.com> wrote:

On 03/04/17 18:32, Jorge Solórzano wrote:
The End of Public Updates of Oracle JDK 6 was on Feb 2013, but there is an "premier" and "extended" support (paid of course) where the "extended" ends on Dec 2018.
  • If you ask me, we should stick to the "premier" support dates for the PgJDBC, so basically Java 6 should have died in Dec 2015.
  • Following the "premier" support, Java 7 should be dropped until Jul 2019.
    So.... we are going to be favoring customers paying extra premium fees to Oracle.... don't count with me! ^_^

    I don't agree. For me EOL is EOL, not premier.

​My point is not favoring customer paying extra premium fees to Oracle, is to choose "sane"​ dates to drop support in PgJDBC.

  • The Oracle JDK it's not the only JDK so the End of Public Updates from Oracle should not dictate the kill of a Java version, there is OpenJDK.
  • The OpenJDK/IcedTea team, drop support for Java 6 just recently.

​​
Fair enough. But as a simple example, neither openjdk6 nor openjdk7 are available in my Ubuntu distro (16.04, not even bleeding edge).

​And that's why I use Azul Zulu JDK :-)

  • The Azul Zulu team still supports Java 6 (at least I haven't hear the drop of support).

So +1 for drop support for Java 6, and -1 for drop support for Java 7.

    Still unconvinced of a strong reason to keep support for Java 7. My +1 for Java8+.

​Yes, there are not strong reasons to ​keep support for Java 7 (apart that it's still widely used), but there are not strong reasons to drop support for Java 7 neither.
It looks like the java implementation mentioned scram-sasl supports Java 7, and BTW the Base64 class of Robert Harder is in PgJDBC, but hey if you convince the project maintainers to move to Java 8+ I'm not against it :-) as I said the project is ultra-conservative for better or worse.

    Cheers,

    Álvaro

--

Álvaro Hernández Tortosa