Re: [Bulk] Re: quoted identifier behaviour - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Randall Smith
Subject Re: [Bulk] Re: quoted identifier behaviour
Date
Re: [Bulk] Re: quoted identifier behaviour  (Stephan Szabo <sszabo@megazone.bigpanda.com>)
Re: [Bulk] Re: quoted identifier behaviour  (Scott Marlowe <smarlowe@g2switchworks.com>)
Re: [Bulk] Re: quoted identifier behaviour  ("Scott Marlowe" <smarlowe@g2switchworks.com>)
List pgsql-general
Scott Marlowe wrote:
> This whole discussion is reminding me of one of my personal mantras, and
> that is that relying on "artifacts" of behaviour is generally a bad
> idea.
>
> For instance, many databases accept != for not equal, but the sql
> standard quite clearly says it's <>.
>
> If you're relying on case folding meaning that you don't have to
> consistently use the same capitalization when referring to variables,
> table names, people, or anything else, you're asking for trouble down
> the line, and for little or no real gain today.
>
> I know that a lot of times we are stuck with some commercial package
> that we can't do anything to fix, so I'm not aiming this comment at the
> average dba, but at the developer.

>                http://archives.postgresql.org/

Yea, this is a commercial package, but it's actually doing it right.
Since it doesn't know how a user will name a table or column, it always
calls them as quoted strings in upper case which is standards compliant,
but doesn't work with PG.  So if a user names a table 55 and mine, it
calls "55 AND MINE" and for foo, it calls "FOO". Looks like they did it
right to me.

Randall