Re: [Bulk] Re: quoted identifier behaviour - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Scott Marlowe
Subject Re: [Bulk] Re: quoted identifier behaviour
List pgsql-general
This whole discussion is reminding me of one of my personal mantras, and
that is that relying on "artifacts" of behaviour is generally a bad
idea.

For instance, many databases accept != for not equal, but the sql
standard quite clearly says it's <>.

If you're relying on case folding meaning that you don't have to
consistently use the same capitalization when referring to variables,
table names, people, or anything else, you're asking for trouble down
the line, and for little or no real gain today.

I know that a lot of times we are stuck with some commercial package
that we can't do anything to fix, so I'm not aiming this comment at the
average dba, but at the developer.