Re: How to increace nightly backup speed - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Andrus
Subject Re: How to increace nightly backup speed
Date
List pgsql-general
> You might try using online backups. By following the steps in this
> document:
>
> http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.1/static/backup-online.html
>
> you can back up the data at the speed of your filesystem. There's no way
> to make it faster than that.

PITR config is complicated. A lot of manual steps are required.
Requires  postgresql.conf file changing, server re-start, creating PITR
directory and adding postgres user privilege to it, file copying.
PITR recovery is also complicated.

My goal is to create ERP system which creates backups without any
attendance.
I don'nt know how to automate this 100% and havent found any such sample.

So I'm waiting when this is automated like 8.2 automates user privilege
dropping and use pg_dump in current installations.

Andrus.