Re: How to increace nightly backup speed - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Andrus
Subject Re: How to increace nightly backup speed
Date
List pgsql-general
> If you've got excess CPU capacity at night, I wonder if -Z1 or -Z2
> would speed the backup since it reduces the amount of data written
> to disk.

Where to find study which pg_dump compares backup speed and backup size by
using various -Z options ?

I'm wondering by -Z9 increases backup speed.
Info-zip zip.exe  -9  config option does not decrease compiression speed

I expected that pg_dump uses same complression algorithm as zip.exe

I'm really wondering why -Z9 decreases backup speed significantly.

Andrus.