Re: Having query cache in core - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Hartmut Holzgraefe
Subject Re: Having query cache in core
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On 07.05.2018 10:12, Konstantin Knizhnik wrote:
> Concerning result cache, I think it will be better to ask opinion of
> mysql users: how useful it is.

It isn't useful. I haven't seen a customer case in years where the query
cache would have done any good.

It is off by default ever since MySQL 5.5 (became "GA" in 2010), and
has now finally been removed from MySQL 8.0. It is still there in
MariaDB, and as far as I can tell there are no plans to remove it
yet, at least not in the next two major releases 10.3 and 10.4.

At the same time we (wearing my MariaDB Corp. hat right now) have
added a "time-to-live" cache module to our MaxScale proxy solution,
so moving caching out of the server for use cases where a time-to-live
cache is "good enough" and immediate cache entry invalidation on
changes of underlying data is not a requirement, so that getting
outdated results back if they are not too old is OK.

--
Hartmut Holzgraefe, Principal Support Engineer (EMEA)
MariaDB Corporation | http://www.mariadb.com/