RE: Having query cache in core - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tsunakawa, Takayuki
Subject RE: Having query cache in core
Date
List pgsql-hackers
From: Konstantin Knizhnik [mailto:k.knizhnik@postgrespro.ru]
> But I think it is better to start first with
> 1. Global prepared statements cache
> 2. Global catalog cache
> 3. Global relation cache

May I ask why prepared statements need to precede catalog and relation caches?  We're suffering from the bloat of
catalogand relation caches, and are thinking of proposing placing those caches in shared memory.

> Switch to global caches seems to be a challenged task, requiring a lot
> of changes in Postgres core.
> But I think that sometime we will have to implement them in any case (as
> it was done in most of other DBMSes).

Agreed.  I respect your attitude toward revolutionizing PostgreSQL.

> Concerning result cache, I think it will be better to ask opinion of
> mysql users: how useful it is.

And possibly Oracle Database users, as Oracle implemented it relatively recently, IIRC.

Regards
Takayuki Tsunakawa