Re: compressed protocol - Mailing list pgsql-general

From zeljko
Subject Re: compressed protocol
Date
List pgsql-general
Michael Fuhr wrote:

> On Fri, Sep 15, 2006 at 03:38:01PM +0200, zeljko wrote:
>> Tom Lane wrote:
>> >
>> > Why bother?  Run your session through an ssh tunnel and ask it to
>> > compress.
>>
>> hm... tunneling works as expected, but there's no compression ?!?
>> ssh_config contains Compression yes
>> sshd_config (server) contains Compression yes
>
> How did you determine that there's no compression?  If you run "ssh -v"
> do you see a line like "Enabling compression at level X"?

I've connected to server with (tunnel created):

ssh -v -L 5400:myserver.ath.cx:5432 kasa@myserver.ath.cx
password: *******

Now I'm logged in (there are debug1 messages which says that ssh uses zlib
compression level 6).

Now, I'm sending command
ls -al /usr/bin
it returns in cca. 3 seconds.

logout.

Now ssh to server WITHOUT compression
same command, returns in > 6 seconds.

so, conclusion is that COMPRESSION works fine.

But, when I try  (via tunnel, explained above)
psql -p 5400 -h localhost mydatabase
it connects and works fine, but there's no compression.
Query returns in cca 20 seconds, almost same (maybe 0.5 sec. different) as
normal psql connection.Conclusion is that there's no compression of psql
stream. Returned data is varchars and integers.

Any ideas ?