Re: compressed protocol - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Michael Fuhr
Subject Re: compressed protocol
Date
List pgsql-general
On Fri, Sep 15, 2006 at 05:37:50PM +0200, zeljko wrote:
> But, when I try  (via tunnel, explained above)
> psql -p 5400 -h localhost mydatabase
> it connects and works fine, but there's no compression.
> Query returns in cca 20 seconds, almost same (maybe 0.5 sec. different) as
> normal psql connection.Conclusion is that there's no compression of psql
> stream. Returned data is varchars and integers.

That's a tenuous conclusion; it assumes that the data transfer is
what's taking all the time.  Query planning and execution and
client-side processing must also be taken into account.  Using a
sniffer to observe the amount of data transferred would be a more
appropriate test.

--
Michael Fuhr