Re: diary constraints - Mailing list pgsql-sql

From Gnanavel S
Subject Re: diary constraints
Date
List pgsql-sql

On 8/23/05, Gary Stainburn <gary.stainburn@ringways.co.uk> wrote:
Hi folks

I know this has been discussed in the past, but no amount of keywords
has returned anything from the archives.

I want to create a courtesy car diary diary system where I have a table
containing all of the cortesy cars in the pool, and then an allocation
table which has two timestamps, one for the start date/time and one for
the return date/time.

How do I go about creating constraints on inserts and updates to ensure
that

a) the finish is after the start

check constraint like -> "finish_time > start_time" this will do

b) two allocations for a single vehicle don't overlap.

Use "overlaps" function in a trigger to validate the above.

--
Gary Stainburn

with regards,
S.Gnanavel