Re: CREATE/ALTER ROLE PASSWORD ('value' USING 'method') - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Heikki Linnakangas
Subject Re: CREATE/ALTER ROLE PASSWORD ('value' USING 'method')
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On 04/06/2017 08:33 AM, Noah Misch wrote:
> On Fri, Mar 17, 2017 at 10:10:59AM +0900, Michael Paquier wrote:
>> On Fri, Mar 17, 2017 at 2:30 AM, Jeff Janes <jeff.janes@gmail.com> wrote:

>>> The regression tests only exercise the CREATE ROLE...USING version, not the
>>> ALTER ROLE...USING version.
>>
>> Done.
>>
>>> +        and <literal>plain</> for an non-hashed password.  If the password
>>> +        string is already in MD5-hashed or SCRAM-hashed, then it is
>>> +        stored hashed as-is.
>>>
>>> In the last line, I think "stored as-is" sounds better.
>>
>> Okay.
>>
>>> Other than that, it looks good to me.
>>
>> Thanks for the review. Attached is an updated patch.
>
> [Action required within three days.  This is a generic notification.]
>
> The above-described topic is currently a PostgreSQL 10 open item.

This isn't critical, SCRAM is fully functional without this new syntax.
I think we should drop this, and revisit for Postgres 11, if it feels
like we still want this then. I'll remove this from the open items list.

- Heikki