Re: Writing most code in Stored Procedures - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Mohd Kamal Bin Mustafa
Subject Re: Writing most code in Stored Procedures
Date
List pgsql-general
On 8/16/07, Steve Manes <smanes@magpie.com> wrote:
> On 8/15/07, Rohit <rpk.general@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Another is because I typically do my web application programming in PHP5
> but the offline scripts in Perl.  Both can call the same stored
> procedures so I don't have multiple copies of database code to maintain
> and debug.
I'm also thinking the same thing once before. Doing as much logic in
the database and at the application layer most of it would be just a
"SELECT .." call. It allows me to experiment with different kind of
langguage (PHP, Python, Ruby) without having to rewrite the business
logic of the application. But using this kind of approach make it hard
to debug and maintain. Changing simple thing would mean updating the
database schema and it would always frigthened me some silly mistake
can affect the integrity of the data. In the end, I slowly move the
logic out of the db and decided on one platform for the application
(PHP).

--
kamal, www.k4ml.com