Re: Blobs in Postgresql - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Trent Shipley
Subject Re: Blobs in Postgresql
Date
List pgsql-general
On Wednesday 2007-08-15 05:52, Gregory Stark wrote:
> "Ron Olson" <tachoknight@gmail.com> writes:
> > Hi all-
> >
> > I am evaluating databases for use in a large project that will hold image
> > data as blobs. I know, everybody says to just store pointers to files on
> > the disk...
>
> Well not everyone. I usually do, but if you're not handling these blobs
> under heavy load independent of the database (like web servers) then either
> approach works.

I've always wondered how you keep transactions working when you only store
pointers to large data.  Do you need an external transaction manager to
insure that the file doesn't get deleted when you "delete" the data via the
pointer?  Do you need an external application that handles all deletes,
inserts, and updates?